Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Releasing clutter from our home and our mind

As I will be spending more time today decorating our home for the holidays, the topic of clutter of the home and the mind is a bit comical. This time of year, it seems that life is cluttered with things, obligations, and if you are like me, a half-finished project in almost every room!

This is also the time of year when I begin thinking about what I'd like to do better (or perhaps stop doing) in the year ahead. Making resolutions has not worked well for me, but thinking through my situation always seems to have rewards.

The clutter in my mind is actually more of a problem than the pile of unwrapped gifts or mismatched socks. When do thoughts tip the balance and become clutter?
  • We've always done it this way!
  • I dread doing this, but I said I would, so I will.
  • Who would I be without "my story"?
  • I couldn't live without [fill in the blank] in my life!
  • Some force on my part is necessary to speed up the process.
  • I'm not sure God can handle this...It is time for some supportive worrying.
  • If I could just fix this one thing about myself,  life would be perfect.
  • If I could just fix this one thing about [fill in the blank], life would be perfect.
It is important to me that the creative process of my Nestle and Soar studio be safeguarded, and perhaps you, too, have a creative life that can become bound-up with physical and mental clutter. As I make my plans for a prosperous, healthy, and joy-filled 2012, here are my clutter-busters for the new year:
  • Try a new technique or use a new material in my folk art every month.
  • Say yes with enthusiasm to only the projects that are exciting to me.
  • Take time every day to listen to the hopes and dreams of other creative people.
  • Give away art supplies and materials I do not use.
  • Trust in the creative process and when I feel rushed, take a walk around the block.
  •  Notice moments of supportive worrying and call a friend to chat (or roll over and whisper in husband's ear). Create a quiet corner in my studio for reflection and meditation.
  • There is nothing that needs to be fixed, as nothing is broken. Trust the creative process.
  • People are not gracing my life as projects I'm supposed to organize. Write down three things I am grateful for about each person I decide to judge. When I feel judgmental about a fiber folk art project I am working on, set it aside for 48 hours. Laugh.
I hope that the next two weeks of your life are cluttered in just the right ways! I'm proud of the mess I'm making all around my home and folk art studio, for as my son use to say, this mess is a Sign of Life!

Thanks for stopping by,
Georgianne





No comments: