Friday, March 12, 2010

Fantasmagorical Flowers


Okay, I may be making up a word here--fantasmagorical--but I thought I heard James Cameron, director of simple movies like Avatar and Titanic, use this word. He explained that the world of Avatar was fantasmagorical. He said it was like a dream world, or a world you enjoyed while dreaming; something like that. I looked it up in my good old Webster's, but do not find the word. I'll have to look into this, because perhaps I was dreaming myself when I thought I heard Mr. Cameron speaking?

Speaking of my fantastic imagination, I have made a dreamy flower pillow this week that I'd like to share with you. I used boiled wool felt cut into flowery shapes. I layered, trimmed, and embellished my little heart out. I like the results; I am still playing with the penny rug inspiration with this piece. Like a vintage penny rug, my flowers are appliqued in a grid pattern with circular elements; blanket stitch embroidery keep them tidy. I'd enjoy knowing what you think!

I placed this pillow in my etsy shop and we will see what happens. In the meantime, I am imagining many other pillows right now. I think I'll go turn the fantasy into reality!

Thanks for visiting.

No comments: