Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Naked Trees bring Winter Beauty

Trees without leaves used to be ugly to me. Living in Colorado all my life, I have always had the four seasons, each with their unique benefits. I used to feel blue when the leaves started falling from the trees in our big backyard. It seemed to signal the ugly part of the year, and I much preferred the nine months of green, growing, deciduous trees.

When I ran across this picture of a winter tree, it made me realize how drastically my thoughts have changed regarding a leafless tree! I think it is absolutely beautiful. If this tree were covered with leaves, we wouldn't be able to see its whole majesty...the leaves would block our view.

When I try to capture such an image in my Nestle and Soar Studio, I make sure to save plenty of time for the hand embroidery of the most delicate branches...the ones that almost melt away. The big gnarly branches are poetically plump, but the halo of tiny, forked branches at the tip of each larger limb are my favorite! I have placed this photo in my studio and will use it as inspiration for my next series of tree pillows. I can hardly wait to get started!

What is your favorite season of the year?

Thanks for stopping by,
Georgianne

1 comment:

Lora said...

loved this post! actually, it inspired me to make this etsy treasury called "trees in winter":
http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4d361902afd86d91a798b501/trees-in-winter