Saturday, February 19, 2011

Penguin Family is my new "Cover Girls"

This charming photo will grace the front of a new line of journals I am creating for my Nestle and Soar Internet shop. When I came across this image, I had that female "Awww" response. The care shown by the adult (and it may not be the mom, by the way) is so tender. Dad penguins spend the coldest part of the year sitting on the eggs to protect them while the mom seeks food. It is a real family nurturing community. The looks on the faces of the two babies is what got my Awww going really good!

I remember thinking that penguins are mammals, but they are not. They are aquatic, flightless birds and live almost exclusively in the southern hemisphere, especially in Antarctia.  I will share some of my other journal covers with you in the days ahead. I'd love to hear quick votes on which image is your favorite! You can start now by telling me if you like this one. Awww!


Thanks for stopping by,
Georgianne

2 comments:

Jazzle Dazzle said...

So cute! I thought these penguins hatched one egg but perhaps they sometimes have twins, or foster another chick?

Georgianne Holland said...

I thought the same thing about one egg at a time for penguins...my husband reminds me that when parent penguins die, the community does take on the abandoned babies. It makes this image even more touching to think of it that way, don't you agree?