Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Embroidery Stitches and Women Friends

I don't know about you, but I am dependent on my women friends. I did not always feel this way. I used to be a lone-wolf kind of gal. But now I see the beauty of being nourished by several groups of dear friends.
First, I have my knitting friends at Knit Knack in Arvada, Colorado. This charming knit shop has a large dining room table in their front window, and every Thursday about 10 of us ladies gather there to talk, laugh, support one another, and, oh, we also knit!
I also enjoy four groups of ladies who meet once a month to quilt, craft, network, or learn in one of my classrooms. These groups were sometimes friends before they entered my classroom for the first time, but mostly, they became friends while learning a new sewing skill. I'm very pleased that they have included me in this journey.
One of my most dynamic monthly groups involves ladies who LOVE to learn embroidery stitches...some of them are resurrecting stitches that their grandmothers taught them back in the day; others are catching the wave of this "new trend" in decorating clothes, pillows, and such. For them, embroidery is a new passion, and they sometimes behave like I invented it. My ego is blushing. Should I tell them the truth?
A new group of women who surround me are professional peers. These are my mentors, my advisors, my heroes. I ask them to publish my writing, feature me in their magazine, or evaluate my photo library. How wonderful is it that these women respond and share like this? I have never met some of these gals, yet we are crafting rich and mutually beneficial relationships.
I also have individual women friends who I know, without a doubt, that if I picked up the phone and asked, they'd be at my doorstep pronto. I think I will take some time today to count my blessings. This reflection on friendship is a sweet reminder that although I consider myself to be a determined person, I am strong because of the constant support and friendship of my tribe.

I send my love out to women everywhere who today will reach out to a friend and let her know she is not alone...

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Howdy neighbor! (-; And welcome to EcoEtsy! I divide my time between Littleton and Bailey. But I used to teach near you!