Friday, January 20, 2012

Studio Scene (but not heard) at Nestle and Soar

On my work table today...Spring Tree Pillow top
It has been quiet at Nestle and Soar this week. I've gotten into the habit of not having any music, television or other white noise in the studio. I find this very peaceful. I can "hear myself think" when it is quiet, as my mom used to say. Before this little experiment, I'd end my studio work day almost over-stimulated, due to the 24-hour news cycle that is readily available these days. I do not miss having to listen to commercials on the television or radio, either! Does anyone know why folks are allowed to significantly turn up the volume of commercials? My fiber arts studio is a large L-shaped room, so I have to have the television or radio on fairly loudly to hear it in all corners of the space as I work. Also, when I'm running the sewing machine, the music is drowned-out. But holy cow, when commercials come on -- wow -- I'm blasted with the volume! I truly don't miss that at all. I wonder if I will continue with this monastic kind of studio atmosphere? Do you work in quiet or in chaos?

Three wall felts in the process of being framed...
Shirt I sewed for myself...button holes and buttons are next!
Work continues on the folk art flag...this is a long-term project!
As you can see, either quiet makes for a very productive week or I was just simply on a roll! I'd like to say I will take a break from all this action over the weekend, but I'd be kidding. I won't be able to stay out of the studio. And then next week, will it be quiet again? I don't know...I have lots of recorded movies calling my name!

Thanks for stopping by,
Georgianne

No comments: