Thursday, January 12, 2012

Aspen Grove Needle Felt Pillow -- New Design from Nestle and Soar

Aspen Grove, ©2012 Georgianne Holland
I am pleased to introduce you to the latest original needle felt design from my fiber folk art studio, Aspen Grove, a handmade tree pillow. I had a great time creating this wool on weaver's cloth pillow. Handmade embroidered pillows are often on my work table, but this design was off-and-then-on the table many times over the course of two months! I just couldn't land on how I would handle all of the forest elements. When I finally decided that the aspen tree leaves needed to be golden wool sheeting appliqued to the needle-felted landscape, I was finally able to finish this design.

I like to think of my handmade tree pillows as soft art for the home, especially when I tackle a landscape using wool roving. The texture of the wool roving when I needle felt is perfect for such a nature-inspired scene. No two pillows by Nestle and Soar are exactly alike, even when I am following my original designs! And beyond my own imagination, I love capturing my collector's favorite photos onto a pillow such as this...it is fun to receive a commission request with photos of a favorite vacation memory.

Aspen Grove Pillow, close up
What type of forest or woodland scene calls to your heart? Living in Colorado, an Aspen grove has a lot of meaning to me. Which type of tree to you think of when you think of forest? Please let me know, as this will give me inspiration for future pillows!

Thanks for stopping by,
Georgianne

No comments: