Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday -- May 1, 2012

May Day -- May Day! I always think of birds and flowers on May 1st, and today is no exception. There is a robin nesting in the crook of our rain gutter again this year and that is always a herald of Spring to me in May. This week I was able to find many bright and organic items that help keep my May Day mood going. Perhaps before dinner tonight I'll have a chance to plant a few more flowers along the winding path to our front door...
until then, I hope you have a chance to enjoy my top ten Tuesday finds. Happy May Day to you!

Sweet Needle Book by Fiber Luscious

As a sewing teacher, one of the first projects I teach is making a needle book. Maybe you aren't in the mood to sew just now? Jill Verbick-O'Leary from Wisconsin is happy to make one for you or your favorite sewing fan using contemporary applique and machine quilting! This bird needle book measures just over 3" square/6" wide when opened. See all of Jill's great fiber items at Fiber Luscious!

Verdigris Feather Brooch

Finding a lost feather is considered by many to be good luck. I wish I could find this lovely handmade stunner! Not One Sparrow in Pennsylvania makes this lovely vintage-inspired brooch in shades of gold, turquoise, and green. It would look lovely on the lapel of a coat or on your favorite felt hat!

Bird-Lover's Wheel-Thrown Casserole Dish

 One Clay Bead on Etsy, which is located in Asheville, North Carolina, makes this lovely casserole dish in one of my favorite color combinations: turquoise and brown. This casserole holds 2 quarts and the lid can be turned upside-down in dish for stacking. You can bake or serve in this nest-topped dish, and she even has coordinating pieces in her shop! This would also make a great gift for any upcoming summer wedding.

Living Tree Sculpture

The folks at Cornell University have a great resource for any of us who love sculptural tree elements in our yards. I know it sounds ambitious, but I have always dreamed of having a tunnel of trees for the grand kids to play under! This living sculpture website it a good place for us to start!

Fine Art Print from Contemporary Earth Art

A stack of vintage books is the perfect resting spot for a sweet golden bird! The blues, golds, and browns of this contemporary print by Laura Sue are home decor trends that I love. The image is 8" x 10" and is sold unframed, which to me means I could select the perfect frame for my family room! Visit with Laura Sue here.

One-of-a-Kind Reading Chair 

I love curling up with a good book. This bright chair from Anthropologie looks like the perfect place for me to do just that! Upholstered in unique vintage kilim fabric, no two chairs can be alike. The curvy arms look perfect for when I'm knitting...my elbows need space to move around! Love it!

The Mighty Live Oak

Uninvented Colors on Etsy has taught me that the Live Oak tree is named that because it remains green year-round. How much would I love that! She also tells me that this tree is the southern symbol of strength, and when I look at the graceful canopy of this tree, I can feel its strength. This fine art photo print comes in five sizes and would make a striking image in most every home. Gorgeous!

Bird's Nest Necklace Tutorial and Finished Item

One of the very best features of the Internet is access to helpful tutorials, and today my top favorite one comes from Sarah Ortega of Poppy and Pine. While you can buy a finished nest necklace directly from her great shop on Etsy, she has been gracious enough to teach you how to make one, too! Her nest design is special because of its simplicity...it looks like it will be smooth against the skin. The variety of bead "eggs" you can include is endless, so I have a feeling that once I begin making them, I'll have trouble stopping! The tutorial link is above, and it is included as Number 11 on a list of 25 tutorials...have fun!

Origami Birds

I stumbled upon a company in England that sells these charming paper birds. Cox and Cox has a number of lovely bird-themed home decor items. These paper collage birds are hand crafted from printed antique notation and script, with little beaded eyes. Use the clip to perch them on napkins or flower arrangements. Some come with their wings open and some with their wings closed.

Funny Animal of the Week

 I think this elephant ranks right up there with a dancing purple elephant. I never thought I'd see an elephant water ski. If this image is computerized fantasy, I may still have never seen an elephant water ski! It's funny to think about though!

Thanks for stopping by,
Georgianne

2 comments:

larkspur funny farm said...

Wonderful May Day Collection

Georgianne Holland said...

Thanks Grace! It is exciting to be at the beginning of May, with green possibilities unfolding before us.